Welcome to Climbing Out 2020!
The Climbing Out program is our residential recovery partner program, offered to those in one of our partnered 6-12 month inpatient recovery programs.
This program offers two free outdoor activities, mountain climbing & backpacking, to those that are sober and are current residents within one of our partnered addiction recovery centers (such as Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission or Tacoma Rescue Mission).
– – Scroll down to view a specific activity schedules for 2020 – –
- “Climb Team” – Have you ever wanted to stand at the top of one of Washington’s tallest mountains? Or trek across glaciers and gullies with some of your new best friends? Join the “climb team” for this 7-month, high-endurance, team-centered, and fun-filled activity!
- “Backpack Team” – Are you interested in hiking in the outdoors, seeing beautiful wildlife, mountain streams, and Washington’s abundant backcountry. Join the “backpack team” for this 4-month, slower-paced, beauty-filled, wilderness activity.
Attendance & Expectations
- Be on time for all events. 10 minutes early. Attendance will be recorded for all events.
- 100% attendance of all conditioners, classes, and dinners to attend final climbs or trips
- 100% attendance of all workouts to attend final climbs or trips
- 2:30hr time trial prerequisite for Climb Team members to attend Adams & Baker climbs. Final “Time Trial” event on May 16
- Documented emergencies, doctors notes, 24hr in-advance excused absences by case manager, may be accepted as excused absence after review only.
- Registration Deadline: registration closes on January 24 for the Climb Team, and April 17 for the Backpack Team.
- In order to attend a workout, hike, a trip or more, you must register online prior to attending at www.climb.recoverybp.org. You must register prior to attending a workout and register 7 days prior to any hike event in order to be eligible to attend.
Weekly fitness is provided onsite at each partnered location (UGM & TRM). Attending weekly fitness workouts is required to participate.Each week you will participate in 3 workouts. In order to accomplish your goal of hiking a hill, trekking in the backcountry, or climbing a mountain, you must get fit and stay fit!
UGM Men’s Fitness – M/W/F @ 10:30am
UGM Women’s Fitness – M/W/F @ 3:00pm
TRM Women’s Fitness– Tu/F @ 11:30am & W @ 3:00pm
TRM Men’s Fitness– M/W/F @ 8:00am
Bring the following to each workout:
- Tennis Shoes
- Athletic Shorts & Tee
- Rain Jacket or Sweatshirt (weather dependant)
- Water Bottle
- Smiles & “Can Do” attitude!
Type: Mountain Climbing
Date: January 8, 2020 – August 9, 2020
Cost: Free! – for anyone who is a client at one of our partners.
Register by: January 24 to join the Climb Team – www.climb.recoverybp.org
Climb Team Description
As a part of the Climb Team you will be training to climb Mt. Baker in July 2020. Mt. Baker is an incredible volcanic-glaciated peak, standing over 10,000 feet tall. It is truly a wonder of the northwest, covered in ice and rock, venting sulfur gas, it’s an otherworldly sight to see. To climb this peak, you will need a team, equipment, skills training, and you need to be in great shape. We provide all of that to you for only the fee of your sobriety! Please the following to every hike, class, and climb: Boots, Backpack, Hiking Pants, Mid-Layer Top, Raincoat, Hat, Beanie, Sun Glasses, Gloves, 2 Liters of Water, Snacks/Lunch
January 4 – Conditioner 1 : Little Si
January 8 – Climb Team Kick-Off Dinner
January 18 – Conditioner 2 : Poo Poo Point
January 24 – Registration Closes
January 25 – Class 1 : Hiking Basics (Pack, Poles, Layering, 10 Essentials, LNT)
February 1 – Conditioner 3 : West Tiger 3
February 15 – Conditioner 4 : Mt. Si (time clocked)
February 22 – Class 2 : Nutrition & Training (Fuel, Recovery, Mentality, Athlete Identity)
March 7 – Conditioner 5 : Tiger Cable Grade
March 21 – Conditioner 6 : Old Si
March 28 – Class 3 : Camp Basics (Tenting, Sleep, Kitchen/Foods, Teamwork)
April 4 – Conditioner 7 : Mailbox Peak
April 18 – Time Trial 1 : Mt. Si (3:00hr to basin)
April 25 – Class 4 : Ground School (Ice Axe, Arrest, Rope Travel, Knots)
May 2 – Class 5 : Snow School (Ice Axe, Arrest, Rope Travel, Knots)
May 16 – Time Trial 1 : Mt. Si (2:30hr to basin)
May 30 – Conditioner 8 : Camp Muir
June 3 – Climb Team Dinner
June 12,13,14 – Mt. Adams Climb
June 19,20,21 – Mt. Adams Backup
June 27 – Class Session 6 : Crevasse Rescue (Anchors, Haul Systems, Team-Rescue)
July 11 – Conditioner 9 : Mt. Defiance
July 15 – Climb Team Dinner
July 23,24,25,26 – Mt. Baker Climb
July 30 – Aug 2 – Mt. Baker Backup
August 9 – BBQ Grad Party
- Conditioners: training hikes to strengthen and prepare yourself. Each hike is from 8am – 3pm, 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month. Details are sent by email 1 week prior.
- Classes: These are outdoor & fitness related workshops, in a classroom, to help you educate and prepare. Classes from 9am-12pm, 4th Saturday of the month. Locale TBD
- Time Trials: To attend Adams & Baker climbs, you must complete the time trial, from Mt. Si trailhead to Mt. Si basin, in under 2:30hr. The last time trial is on May 16, 2020
- Climbs: Mt. Adams climb in June, and Mt. Baker in July. See dates below. These climbs are “all day” events as scheduled
Dates: April 15, 2020 – August 22, 2020
Cost: Free! – for anyone who is a client at one of our partners.
Register by: April 17 to join the Backpack Team – www.climb.recoverybp.org
Backpack Team Description
As a part of the Backpack Team you will head out into the incredible northwest wilderness, seeing some of the most beautiful wildlands in the United States, if not the world! Backpacking in Spider Meadows in July and at Copper Ridge in August, will offer the smell of wild flowers, the stunning sight of iconic mountain peaks, and the sound of streams & valleys teaming with life. To backpack 30+ miles, you will need a team, equipment, outdoor skills, and plenty of training. We provide all of that to you for only the fee your sobriety! Please the following to every hike, class, and backpack trip: Boots, Backpack, Hiking Pants, Mid-Layer Top, Raincoat, Hat, Beanie, Sun Glasses, Gloves, 2 Liters of Water, Snacks/Lunch
April 15 – Backpack Team Kick-Off Dinner
April 17 – Registration Closes
April 18 – Conditioner 1 : Little Si
May 2 – Conditioner 2 : Poo Poo Point
May 16 – Conditioner 3 : Mt. Si
May 30 – Conditioner 4 : Mt. Washington
June 13 – Conditioner 5 : Kendall Katwalk
June 26, 27 – Class 1 : Overnight Camping
July 11 – Conditioner 6 : Pratt Lake Basin
July 17,18,19,20 – Spider Meadows Trip
August 1 – Conditioner 7 : Melakwa Lake w/ 25#pack
August 13,14,15,16 – Copper Ridge Loop Trip
August 22 – BBQ Grad Party
- Conditioners: training hikes to strengthen and prepare yourself. Each hike is from 8am – 3pm, 7 total conditioning hikes. Details are sent by email 1 week prior.
- Class: This is a singular overnight camping trip and workshop, to help you educate and prepare for a multi-day backpacking trip in July and August.
- Trips: Spider Meadows trip in July, and Copper Ridge Loop trip is in July. See dates below. These trips are “all day” events as scheduled