Climbing Out is our private outdoor therapeutic program, offered for free only to residents of addiction recovery programming at Tacoma Rescue Mission or Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission.
This program offers two outdoor activity tracks, “climb team” and “backpack team”. You climb, hike or trek in the great outdoors along side a supportive team, in the context of addiction recovery. We offer the exercise plan, training, and specific equipment to accomplish the goal. Join us!
- “Climb Team” – Have you ever wanted to stand at the top of one of Washington’s tallest mountains? Or trek across glaciers and gullies with some of your new best friends? Join the “climb team” for this 7-month, high-endurance, team-centered, and fun-filled activity.
- “Backpack Team” – Are you interested in hiking in the outdoors, seeing beautiful wildlife, mountain streams, and Washington’s abundant backcountry? Join the “backpack team” for this 4-month, slower-paced, beauty-filled, wilderness activity.
Attendance & Expectations
- Be on time for all events. On time means 10 minutes early. Attendance will be recorded for all events, including workouts.
- 100% attendance of all conditioners, classes, and dinners to attend final climbs or trips
- 100% attendance of all weekly fitness workouts to attend final climbs or trips. Scroll to the bottom to see more.
- A time trial prerequisite for Climb Team members is required to attend Adams & Baker climbs. THe time trial is a Mt. Si hike from trailhead to basin in 2:30 hours. Final “Time Trial” event on May 16
- The following may be excused absences, after review: documented emergencies, doctors notes, 24hr in-advance excused absence by case manager.
- Registration Deadline: registration closes on February 14 for the Climb Team, and May 15 for the Backpack Team.
- In order to take part in these programs, you must register online prior to attending at join.recoverybp.org You must register prior to attending a workout and register 7 days prior to any hike event in order to be eligible to attend.
Type: Mountain Climbing
Date: January 11, 2020 – August 9, 2020
Cost: Free! – for anyone who is a client at one of our partners.
Register by: February 14 to join the Climb Team – join.recoverybp.org
Climb Team Description
As a part of the Climb Team you will be training to climb Mt. Baker in July 2020. Mt. Baker is an incredible volcanic-glaciated peak, standing over 10,000 feet tall. It is truly a wonder of the northwest, covered in ice and rock, venting sulfur gas, it’s an otherworldly sight to see. To climb this peak, you will need a team, equipment, skills training, and you need to be in great shape. We provide this opportunity to you for only the fee of your sobriety! Please bring the following to every hike, class, and climb: Boots, Backpack, Hiking Pants, Mid-Layer Top, Raincoat, Hat, Beanie, Sunglasses, Gloves, 2 Liters of Water, Snacks/Lunch
January 11 – Conditioner Hike 1 : Little Si
January 25 – Conditioner Hike 2 : Poo Poo Point
January 29 – Climb Team Kickoff Party
February 3-7 – Class 1 : Hiking Basics (Pack, Poles, Layering, 10 Essentials, LNT, Gear Swap)
February 8 – Conditioner Hike 3 : West Tiger 3
February 14 – Registration Closes
February 17-21 – Class 2 : Nutrition & Training (Fuel, Recovery, Mentality, Athlete Identity)
February 22 – Conditioner Hike 4 : Mt. Si (time clocked)
March 7 – Conditioner Hike 5 : Tiger Cable Grade
March 21 – Conditioner Hike 6 : Old Si
March 28 – Class 3 : Camp Basics (Tenting, Sleep, Kitchen/Foods, Teamwork)
April 11 – Conditioner Hike 7 : Mailbox Peak
April 18 – Time Trial 1 : Mt. Si (3:00 hours to basin)
April 20-24 – Class 4 : Ground School (Ice Axe, Arrest, Rope Travel, Knots)
May 2 – Class 5 : Snow School (Ice Axe, Arrest, Rope Travel, Knots)
May 16 – Time Trial 1 : Mt. Si (2:30 hours to basin)
May 30 – Conditioner Hike 8 : Camp Muir
June 3 – Climb Team Dinner
June 12,13,14 – Mt. Adams Climb
June 19,20,21 – Mt. Adams Backup
June 27 – Class Session 6 : Crevasse Rescue (Anchors, Haul Systems, Team-Rescue)
July 11 – Conditioner Hike 9 : Mt. Defiance
July 15 – Climb Team Dinner
July 23,24,25,26 – Mt. Baker Climb
July 30 – Aug 2 – Mt. Baker Backup
August 9 – BBQ Grad Party
- Conditioner Hike: Training hikes to strengthen and prepare yourself. Each hike is from 8am – 3pm. Details are sent by email 1-2 weeks prior.
- Classes: These are outdoor and fitness related workshops, in a classroom, to help you educate and prepare. Class 1, 2 & 4, are 2-hours and held in place of your workout; exact time is TBD. Class 3 is from 9am-3pm, location TBD. Class 5 is an all day event.
- Time Trials: To attend Adams & Baker climbs, you must complete the time trial, from Mt. Si trailhead to Mt. Si basin, in under 2:30hr. The last time trial is on May 16, 2020
- Climbs: Mt. Adams climb in June, and Mt. Baker in July. See dates above. These climbs are “all day” events as scheduled
Dates: April 15, 2020 – August 22, 2020
Cost: Free! – for anyone who is a client at one of our partners.
Register by: May 15 to join the Backpack Team – join.recoverybp.org
Backpack Team Description
As a part of the Backpack Team you will head out into the incredible northwest wilderness, seeing some of the most beautiful wildlands in the United States, if not the world! Backpacking in Spider Meadows in July and at Copper Ridge in August, will offer the smell of wildflowers, the stunning sight of iconic mountain peaks, and the sound of streams & valleys teeming with life. To backpack 30+ miles, you will need a team, equipment, outdoor skills, and plenty of training. We provide this opportunity to you for only the fee your sobriety! Please bring the following to every hike, class, and backpack trip: Boots, Backpack, Hiking Pants, Mid-Layer Top, Raincoat, Hat, Beanie, Sunglasses, Gloves, 2 Liters of Water, Snacks/Lunch
April 15 – Backpack Team Kick-Off Dinner
April 18 – Conditioner Hike 1 : Little Si
May 2 – Conditioner Hike 2 : Poo Poo Point
May 15 – Registration Closes
May 16 – Conditioner Hike 3 : Mt. Si
May 30 – Conditioner Hike 4 : Mt. Washington
June 13 – Conditioner Hike 5 : Kendall Katwalk
June 26, 27 – Class 1 : One-Night Camping Trip
July 11 – Conditioner Hike 6 : Pratt Lake Basin
July 17,18,19,20 – Spider Meadows Trip
August 1 – Conditioner Hike 7 : Melakwa Lake w/ 25#pack
August 13,14,15,16 – Copper Ridge Loop Trip
August 22 – BBQ Grad Party
- Conditioner Hike: training hikes to strengthen and prepare yourself. Each hike is from 8am – 3pm, 7 total conditioning hikes. Details are sent by email 1-2 weeks prior.
- Class: This is a one-night camping trip and workshop, to help you learn and prepare for a multi-day backpacking trip in July and August.
- Trips: Spider Meadows trip in July, and Copper Ridge Loop trip in August. See dates above. These trips are “all day” events as scheduled
Weekly fitness is provided onsite at each partnered location (UGM and TRM). Attending weekly fitness workouts is required to participate. Each week you will participate in 3 workouts. In order to accomplish your goal of hiking a hill, trekking in the backcountry, or climbing a mountain, you must get fit and stay fit!
UGM Men’s Fitness, Riverton Place – M/W/F @ 10:30am
UGM Women’s Fitness, Hope Place – M/W/F @ 3:00pm
TRM Women’s Fitness, Tyler Campus– W @ 2:30pm & F @ 12:00pm
TRM Men’s Fitness, Downtown Campus– W/F @ 8:00am
Bring the following to each workout:
- Tennis Shoes
- Athletic Shorts & Tee
- Rain Jacket or Sweatshirt (weather dependent)
- Water Bottle
- Smiles and a “Can Do” attitude!